- Stay on message
pick your niche and stick with it - people interested in your niche will find you
- Only follow people who have more followers than they themselves follow
People retweet those they follow - a low following-to-follower ration indicates they're picky about who they follow (and therefore retweet)
- Don't reciprocal follow anyone who follows you
Most follows are junk. Auto-following jerks who've latched onto a keyword. Don't give them credibility.
- Unfollow anyone who spams 40 posts a minute
There's no way they're reading what they're polluting your inbox with - zero quality = no follow
- Don't follow those who don't retweet
If they're not retweeting, they're not reading. Specifically, they're not reading you!
- Only follow those who fit your niche
You retweet those that you follow - if you want to stay on topic, only follow those are worth retweeting
- Challenge, converse and retweet
Get into a dialogue with those you follow if you want them to follow you back
Follow these rules (and be interesting!) and you'll slowly but surely amass a following of interesting, niche-specific followers!